- Course: Main Dishes
- Yield : 1
- Servings : 8 servings
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 60m
- Add to Recipe Box
The unique flavor of this dish develops when the spaghetti is cooked in the pot with the tomato and roux based sauce. Spaghetti is the choice pasta but the dish may be prepared with a pasta of your choice.
- 1/2 cup prepared roux or scratch roux (1 cup flour and 3/4 cup oil)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 4 short ribs celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced fine
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 - 15 ounce cans Hunts tomato sauce
- 1 small can tomato paste
- Rotel brand tomatoes or tomatoes with green chilies (optional)
- 3/4 pound package spaghetti or angel hair pasta
- 2 pounds shrimp
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt, black pepper and cayenne to taste
- chopped parsley for garnishment
Combine the onion, bell pepper and celery and divide in half.
In a 4.5 quart roaster size, add the 1/4 cup oil, the two cans tomato sauce and one of the half mixture of the onion, bell pepper, celery. Cook over low fire, stirring occasionally, while you make the roux..
In a separate pot, make a roux. When the roux is a dark brown color, add the remaining half of the onion bell pepper, celery and garlic; sauté for 10 minutes until vegetables are soften.
Add the tomato paste to the roux and sauté for an additional 15 minute; stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
Combine the roux mixture with the tomato sauce adding one cup water. Bring to a low boil for 10 minutes. Add two cups water, then add the shrimp adding the pasta loosely separating the stands of spaghetti. Add more water if you prefer a more soupy sauce.
Reduce the heat, stir lightly and cover tightly. Check after 5 minutes, stir and add more water if needed. Cook for another five minutes.