Miss Ollie’s Crawfish or Shrimp Étouffée (Etouffee)2006-05-27
- Course: Main Dishes
- Yield : 4 - 6
- Servings : 4 - 6
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 60m
- Add to Recipe Box
Miss Ollie had been in our household for a long time. She was one of the best cooks around. Our family loved when she prepared this étouffée.
- 2 pods of garlic, chopped fine
- 2 cups onions, chopped fine
- 2 cups celery, (no strings) chopped fine
- 1 bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup Mazola oil for sautéing
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 pound shrimp or crawfish with fat, uncooked and peeled
- handful of chopped parsley and green onions (optional)
In a medium saucepan or cast iron pot, add oil and sauté the garlic, onion, celery and green pepper. Sauté until the veggies wilt.
Add the tomato paste and enough water (about 1 to 2 cups) to form a saucy gravy.
Dissolve the cornstarch in water and add to the mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 10 to 15 minutes.
Salt and pepper to taste, then add the crawfish or shrimp and cook for 10 to 15 minutes more or until pink.
Add fresh parsley and/or green onions and serve over rice.