Angie’s Cornbread Dressing2005-04-03
- Course: Side Dishes
- Yield : 8
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 2:30 h
- Ready In : 3:0 h
- Add to Recipe Box
This is a different slant on the traditional cornbread dressing/stuffing that I “invented” over 25 years ago. It could easily be a meal in itself and is my yearly contribution to the family Christmas dinner.
- 1/2 pound chicken livers optional
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound pork steak
- 1/2 pound butter
- 3 or 4 chopped onions
- 5 stalks celery chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can chicken broth 10 oz
- 1 can onion soup
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Tony Chachere’s seasoning to taste
- 2 boxes Jiffy cornbread mix, prepared according to directions
In a Dutch oven, fry meat in margarine until brown. Chop browned pork steaks in small cubes, remove bones.
Smash livers (or run them through the food processor). Return meat to pot.
Add onions, onion tops, celery, and garlic.
Sauté 5 minutes, add chicken broth and soup, Worcestershire, and season to taste. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
(At this point I freeze half, as I usually make a double recipe).
Mix in 4 cups cornbread. Bring seasoning up to taste. If mixture is too soupy, put in oven at 350 until desired consistency is reached.