Tomato Chicken a’la Ruby2002-10-06
- Course: Main Dishes
- Yield : 6
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 25m
- Cook Time : 1:15 h
- Ready In : 1:40 h
- Add to Recipe Box
This could be called the “All American Tomato Chicken” as it appeals to everyone. This dish can be served with rice, pasta, noodles and creamed potatoes.
- 3 - 4 pounds fryer or hen
- 1 cup oil (more or less)
- salt, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder
- 1/2 cup flour for dredging chicken
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper chopped fine
- 2 celery stalks chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves chopped fine
- 2 - 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 lemon sliced
- 1 (6 oz ) package fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups water mixed with 2 tsp Wyler’s Chicken Granules
- 1 (15 oz ) can tomato sauce
- 1 can Hunt's Diced Tomatoes w/ green pepper, celery and onion
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
Cut the chicken into small pieces and remove the skin (removing the skin is optional). Season the chicken to taste with the salt, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Sprinkle a little garlic powder in the flour. Coat each piece of chicken with flour.
In a cast iron skillet, fried chicken size 12 inch by 3 inch deep, heat oil. Fry chicken pieces until golden brown. Remove chicken to paper towels.
After all pieces have been browned, remove excess oil keeping 2 tablespoon oil and the browned flour in the skillet. Add to the skillet and sauté the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic until onions are tender.
Add the seasoned water, the can of tomato sauce and the Hunt's diced tomatoes, the lemon, bay leaves and sugar. Stir until blended. Add back the browned chicken to the skillet. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. If using a hen more time may be required.
Slice the mushrooms in thirds. Add to the mixture in the last 15 minutes of cooking, the mushrooms, green onions and parsley.
Serve over rice. This tomato gravy could also be served with noodles, pasta or creamed potatoes.