Corn Macque Choux2004-05-28
- Course: Side Dishes
- Yield : 8
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 60m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 1:30 h
- Add to Recipe Box
Cajuns love this smothered corn dish.
- 12 ears of fresh corn
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar or the Splenda equivalent
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk or heavy cream
- 3 - 4 tbsp cooking oil like Canola oil
Cut off the tips of corn kernels into a bowl, scrape milk and remaining pulp from the cob with a knife. Set aside.
Heat the oil; add the corn, chopped tomato, and the remaining ingredients except for the milk. Cook over medium to medium high heat stirring constantly, 5 minutes or so.
Add the milk, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.