- Course: Main Dishes
- Yield : 6
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 60m
- Add to Recipe Box
Use this stuffing to stuff vegetables, squash, mushrooms or bake as a casserole in a baked pie shell. Maw-Maw got this recipe from a classmate at a recent class reunion. In honor of the Class of ’66!
- 3 tbsp oleo (butter), melted
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lbs shrimp, clean and deveined
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs or seasoned Panko bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp oleo margarine or butter, melted
- 2 tbsp heaping flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Sprinkles of red pepper or cayenne
- garlic powder (optional)
- salt to taste
In a large skillet, add 3 tablespoons oleo and lemon juice. Sauté the green onion, bell pepper, celery, onions, mushroom, and garlic until vegetable are soft.
Add the shrimp and sauté until the shrimp turn pink. Add the parsley. Remove from the heat, add the bread crumbs and mix well. Mixture should be thick.
In a separate saucepan, add 3 tablespoons melted oleo and flour. Stir until flour is well coated and mixture bubbles.
Add milk and reduce heat, stirring until thickened.
Add 1/2 cup cheese and remove from heat. Stir with a wire whisk until the cheese melts.
Pour cheese sauce over bread crumb mixture and mix well.
Use to stuff vegetables, squash, mushrooms or bake as a casserole in a baked pie shell.
Top with the remainder of the cheese. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees until cheese melts and dish is thoroughly heated.