Lentil Bean or Northern Bean Soup2002-11-16
- Yield : 8
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 50m
- Ready In : 1:20 h
- Add to Recipe Box
Southerners love their beans. Substitute your favorite dried bean, if you prefer, and if there’s leftover ham, feel free to throw it in!
- 3/4 lb dried lentil beans (or beans of choice)
- 2 carrots, sliced in coins
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 3/4 lb smoked Cajun Smoked Sausage or substitute Polish Sausage
- 1/2 lb cooked ham, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 (.75 oz) envelope brown gravy
- 4 cups water
Sort and wash beans. Place beans in a large Dutch oven and cover with water two inches above the beans. Soak overnight.
After soaking: Slice, brown and drain the sausage.
Sauté the carrots, onions and celery, and pour into a large Dutch oven. Add all other ingredients except the potatoes. Drain the water from the beans and add to the vegetable mixture. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
Add potatoes and cook for an added 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. If you desire a thinner soup, add some water and cook a few minutes more.