Lentil Bean Soup2016-12-09
- Course: Main Dishes
- Yield : 1
- Servings : 8 to 10
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 8:0 h
- Ready In : 8:30 h
- Add to Recipe Box
Southerners love their beans. Substitute your favorite dried bean – great for northern beans.
- 1 lb dried lentil beans or northern beans
- 2 carrots, sliced in coins
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 3/4 lb smoked Cajun Smoked Sausage cut in rings
- 1/2 lb cooked ham, cut in cubes
- 1/2 pound Jimmy Dean pork sausage
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 2 cloves garlic chopped fine
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp red pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion pepper
- 6 cups water or more to cover beans
Spray crock pot lightly with cooking spray. Wash beans and place in pot. .
In a medium skillet, sauté the carrots, onions and celery. Add the pork sausage and cook until lightly brown, Add the ham and and remaining ingredients except water and smoked sausage, mix well. Pour into crock pot.
Add enough water in the crock pot so that the water is 2 to 3 inches above the beans. Turn the crock pot on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Brown the smoked sausage and add in the last hour of cooking. Water may be added if needed. Stir well and serve over rice.