- Course: Soups & Salads
- Yield : 8
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 50m
- Cook Time : 1:30 h
- Ready In : 2:20 h
- Add to Recipe Box
The cook shares – I find most gumbo recipes to watery for my taste. So I loaded this one up with a bunch of stuff – chicken, smoked sausage, shrimp and okra. I use a dark roux, which doesn’t thicken the gumbo as much as a light one. Therefore the okra in this recipe completes the thickening.
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large or 2 small bell peppers, diced
- 3 or 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup oil (no olive oil)
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 quarts chicken broth or stock
- 1 quart water
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs, cut up bite size
- 1 pound or more smoked sausage
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1/4 cup creole seasoning
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1 pound fresh or frozen okra
- 1 pound fresh or frozen shrimp
- Gumbo filé to taste ( optional )
Prep vegetables and set aside.
Next comes the hard part: the roux. Combine the oil and flour in a cold pan. Turn on heat to med-high and stir constantly. When the roux starts to brown, turn heat down to medium. Continue stirring until the roux turns ALMOST a milk chocolate color, being very careful not to burn it. If it burns, chuck it and start over. Remove the roux from heat and stir in the vegetables to cool the roux.
Add the chicken broth and water and return to med-high heat. Add the chicken, smoked sausage, salt, pepper, Creole seasoning, and thyme.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, then simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally.
After an hour add the shrimp and okra and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Add filé if desired.