Eggplant Crabmeat and Shrimp Casserole2008-05-04
- Course: Main Dishes
- Yield : 8
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 60m
- Add to Recipe Box
Eggplants compliment other foods nicely as a side dish and are hearty enough to steal the show in a main course – as this recipe sure will!
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 medium onions, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Lea and Perrins, green label
- 1/4 tsp Creole/Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 sleeve crackers, crushed for crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and cayenne pepper, to taste
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 1/2 pound boiled or steamed shrimp, peeled (substitute: 6 ounce can, drained)
- Seasoned bread crumbs, for topping
- 2 tbsp butter melted
Peel and dice eggplant into 1-inch cubes. Boil in enough water to cover with 1 tablespoon salt until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
Sauté onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic in olive oil until very tender. Fold vegetable mixture into eggplant. Add lemon juice, Worcestershire, Lea and Perrins, Creole seasoning, hot red pepper sauce, 1 cup cracker crumbs, Parmesan, salt and cayenne, then eggs. Gently fold in seafood.
Place mixture in greased casserole. Top with bread crumbs and melted butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.