Eggplant Casserole II2002-08-20
- Course: Side Dishes
- Yield : 12 servings
- Servings : 12 servings
- Prep Time : 40m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:40 h
- Add to Recipe Box
- 3 large eggplants, peeled and diced
- 1/2 lb fresh sausage meat
- 1 cup each of chopped onion, bell pepper, celery
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 (6 1/4 oz) package cornbread stuffing mix
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Green onions (onion tops) to taste
Peel and dice the eggplant. In a medium saucepan, cook the eggplant in salty water until tender. Drain well. Mash and then set aside.
Sauté sausage meat in skillet until well done. Drain all grease (fat and oil) and set aside.
Sauté onions, bell pepper and celery. Add green onions.
Prepare stuffing mix according to package directions.
In a shallow baking dish, mix the eggplant, sausage, onion mixture, salt and pepper with the prepared stuffing mix. Top with shredded cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted.