Crawfish Eggplant Casserole2002-11-20
- Course: Main Dishes
- Yield : 8
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 60m
- Add to Recipe Box
Eggplant was a classic staple in Cajun Country. This recipe came into fashion when crawfish also became a staple. Shrimp substitued for Crawfish is hard to beat; shrimp compliments the taste of eggplant so well.
- 3 medium eggplants, peeled and quartered
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp oil (canola preferred)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 pound crawfish tails rinsed or shrimp
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 slices bread, heel (nose) preferred broken in small pieces
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tbsp seasoned bread crumbs
Peel and quarter the eggplants. Parboil in salty water until tender (10-15 minutes), remove from water and drain.
Sauté onions, green pepper, celery and garlic in oil and 2 tablespoons of water until soft and clear (5 minutes).
Add crawfish, salt, black pepper and cayenne. Cover and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes. Dice eggplant and fold into the mixture.
Add bread, water, breadcrumbs, cheese, green onions and parsley.
Place into a 9x13 casserole dish that has been coated with vegetable spray. Sprinkle with the seasoned breadcrumbs. Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.