Crab (Shrimp or Crawfish) Corn Chowder2005-10-11
- Course: Main Dishes
- Yield : 8
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 60m
- Add to Recipe Box
Cajuns love their seafood. This “soup for the Cajun soul” can be made with crab, shrimp, crawfish, all three or in combination with each other. Experiment with the mixtures of the seafood available in your area.
- 1 block margarine or butter (8 tbsp)
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 (14 oz) can cream style corn
- 1 1/2 tbsp Chicken Base
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 tbsp white wine - optional
- 1 pound crabmeat, shrimp or crawfish
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1/4 cup each parsley and green onion top (scallions) or more
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
Sauté vegetables in margarine until very well wilted. Stir in flour; blend well.
Stir in corn and simmer 5 minutes.
Dissolve chicken base in water and add to corn mixture. Add wine. Gently stir in crab meat. Simmer 5 minutes or so.
Add cream, parsley, and onion tops. Simmer 5-10 minutes more. Season to taste.