Chuck Steak with Vegetables2004-05-30
- Course: Main Dishes
- Yield : 8
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 25m
- Cook Time : 35m
- Ready In : 60m
- Add to Recipe Box
Chuck, round and flank steaks require more work to tenderize, but they are very flavorful and much less expensive.
- 2 tbsp salad oil
- 3 – 3 1/2 lbs chuck steak 11/2 to 2 inches thick
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 green apple, pared, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 (15 oz) cans whole tomatoes undrained
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled & halved lengthwise (2 lbs)
- 1 head green cabbage (2 1/2 lbs), washed and cut into 8 wedges
Heat oil in large 8 quart dutch oven. Add beef and brown on all sides - about 30 minutes; remove the steak from dutch oven.
Add onion to dutch oven and cook slowly until golden brown. Add browned steak. Stir in 1 cup water. Add apples and tomatoes; then sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
Add potatoes and cook 15 minutes. Add cabbage and simmer 20 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Serve with pan juices spooned over top.