Chicken and Sausage Gumbo2006-08-22
- Course: Main Dishes
- Yield : 8
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 45m
- Cook Time : 1:20 h
- Ready In : 2:5 h
- Add to Recipe Box
“As a little girl, I used to sit in my Granny’s kitchen in Lafayette and watch her chop the veggies for this fabulous gumbo. It’s very filling, and for me, it’s the ultimate comfort food. It’s made with a lighter roux, and the spice can be adjusted with a little Tony Chachere’s”
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 2 1/2 quart water
- 2 chicken bullion cubes
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 (10 oz) bag frozen okra (If using fresh, about 2 1/2 cups sliced, and soak the slices in salt water overnight, then rinse before adding)
- 2 lbs smoked sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh garlic, 4 to 5 cloves
- Tony Chachere's or file’ powder to garnish
In large stock pot, add chicken, water, boullion, and a little salt and pepper. Boil about 30 minutes, or until done.
Meanwhile, chop veggies and set aside. When chicken is finished, reserve the broth and set the chicken aside to cool slightly.
In large stockpot, melt butter with oil over med-high heat until very hot.
Using a wire whisk, mix in flour. Continue whisking constantly until the roux is the color of peanut butter.
Quickly add all veggies and garlic. Continue to cook, stirring, about 3 minutes.
Slowly whisk in reserved chicken broth. Add sausage, salt and pepper and garlic powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer.
Debone chicken, then add the meat to the pot. Continue to simmer about 20 minutes. Add okra, simmer 10 more minutes.
Serve over hot rice, garnished with a little file’ or cajun seasoning.