- Course: Main Dishes
- Yield : 8
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 1:15 h
- Ready In : 1:45 h
- Add to Recipe Box
This is a great comfort food!
- 2 pounds stew or top round beef cut in two inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive or canola oil divided
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup beer (the darker the better)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds red potatoes chunky cut
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup sliced cabbage
- 1 or 2 yellow banana pepper
- salt, black pepper, garlic powder to taste
- Cajun seasonings to taste
Season beef with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and Cajun seasonings.
In a medium pot, brown the beef in 2 tablespoons oil; set aside.
Add the remaining oil and saute the onion and banana pepper until onion is soft and clear (5 minutes). Stir in the garlic and tomato paste and saute for 2 minutes.
Stir in the flour and cook one minute.
Add the beer and deglaze the bottom of the pan.
Add the broths, the meat cover and simmer for one hour.
Bring the temperature up and stir in the potatoes and carrots. Cook covered until the potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes).
Add the peas and cabbage and cook another 5 to 10 minutes.
Add salt and pepper to taste.