Vegetarian Red Beans & Brown Rice2004-04-27
- Course: Main Dishes
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 50m
- Ready In : 1:10 h
- Add to Recipe Box
This is a classic New Orleans dish served on Mondays without sausage and with brown rice to make it healthier and lower carb.
- 1 chopped Vidalia (sweet) onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or 4 cups of water and 3 vegetable bouillon cubes)
- 4 (15 oz) cans of natural organic red beans, drained and washed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp teaspoon of salt-free Creole seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Brown rice (1/2 cup cooked per person)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped Italian parsley
In a Dutch oven (a heavy metal, cast aluminum or Magnalite) covered pot, add the onion, garlic, green bell pepper, red bell pepper and vegetable stock. Braise the vegetables in the vegetable stock until soft.
Add the beans, tomatoes, seasoning, cumin, ground pepper, hot sauce, thyme and bay leaf. Simmer for 15–20 minutes. You may need to add more vegetable stock if the beans become too dry.
After the beans have simmered, season to taste with salt and add the chopped Italian parsley. Remove the bay leaf and serve with fresh steamed brown rice and hot sauce.