Refrigerator Pistachio Dessert2004-07-19
- Course: Desserts
- Yield : 12
- Servings : 12
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 45m
- Add to Recipe Box
This dessert can use chopped pecans or another flavor of instant pudding. Chocolate is good.
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened not melted
- 1/2 cup pistachios, shelled and finely chopped
- Pie Filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large carton of Cool Whip
- 3 small packages pistachio instant pudding
- 4 1/2 cups milk
Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Grease a 13x9 pan with shortening (not oil).
In a small bowl, combine the flour and butter until crumbly. Stir in the pistachios.
Pat into the prepared pan and bake for 18 to 22 minutes until light golden brown. Remove to cool.
Combine cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth and creamy. Fold in a third of the carton of Cool Whip. Spread into a cooled crust.
In a medium bowl (I chill the bowl and beaters) combine the pudding and milk and beat thoroughly until thickened. Pour carefully over cheese layer.
Frost with remaining Cool Whip; sprinkle with chopped pistachios and refrigerate several hours or overnight.