Pork Backbone – Pork Stew Fricassee2012-10-21
- Course: Main Dishes
- Yield : 8
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:30 h
- Add to Recipe Box
- 1 1/2 lb pork loin/backbone (or pork chops with bone in)
- 3 -5 medium Irish potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 quart water
- Salt, black pepper and red pepper to taste
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup oil
Make a roux with the oil and flour. After the roux is made, sauté the onion, bell pepper and celery. Add the garlic and cook 3 minutes more. Add the water, stir and mix thoroughly.
Cut the pork into bite size pieces, season to taste with salt, black pepper and red pepper and add to the stew. Add the potatoes and simmer for 1 hour until potatoes are done. Serve over hot cooked rice, add vinegar cabbage and enjoy. A simple and filling dish.
Chicken maybe substituted for pork.