Colby’s Smothered Pork Chops & Gravy2005-01-14
- Course: Main Dishes
- Yield : 4
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:20 h
- Add to Recipe Box
I have seen my mom make rice and gravy many times. I got really hungry for some and she was not around; so I followed my instincts and made this delicious dish. The pork was really tender and the gravy was excellent. I commented at the table how Mom would be proud if she could have eaten some I guess it is in the genes!
- 4 boneless pork chops or pork loin 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tbsp Canola or vegetable oil
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 1 cup red and green peppers chopped
- 1 package thick cut mushrooms about 4 cups
- Cajun or Creole seasonings
- 1/3 package onion soup mix
- 1-2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water (more or less)
- garlic powder (optional)
Rinse, pat dry and season to taste the pork meat - Zatarain’s seasonings is the chef’s favorite.
Over medium heat in a black pot or heavy aluminum skillet, add oil and sauté the chopped green onions, bell peppers and half of the thick cut mushrooms for approximately 5 minutes.
Add the seasoned pork chops and brown. Add and brown to the mixture the balance of the mushrooms.
Add 2 cups water or enough water to cover the meat, the French onion soup mix and the red pepper flakes the kind that goes on pizza.
Lower heat and simmer for approximately 45 minutes to one hour depending on the thickness desired for the gravy.