Quick Spicy Meaty Rice2008-10-13
- Course: Main Dishes
- Yield : 8
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:30 h
- Add to Recipe Box
This is a recipe that I originally learned from a true coonass in the 80′s and it was his family’s recipe from Baton Rouge.
- 4 boxes Zatarins Jambalaya mix, 2 regular and 2 with cheese
- 2 cans Rotel diced tomatoes w/chiles, original flavor
- 2 cans Rotel diced tomatoes w/chiles, either mild or hot
- 1 small can chopped chiles
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean sausage, hot
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean sausage, mild
- 2 pounds Andouille smoked sausage
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- garlic powder to taste
- chopped onion, dehydrated
- Tabasco Smoked Chipotle seasoning
- Green hot sauce, preferably a habanero not jalapeño
- 1 tbsp Salt and black pepper each
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp garlic juice
- 1 tbsp (heaping) black pepper
Drain 4 cans of the tomatoes, 1 can of chiles. This should come out to 2 cups of fluid, reduce total of amount water to be added to the jambalaya by this amount. Set aside.
In a large skillet, spray with Pam and liberally coat bottom of pan with green hot sauce and 4 tablespoons olive oil. Combine Hot/Mild sausage, coat the top of sausage with thin layer of garlic powder, medium layer of chipotle and 2 tablespoons of the minced garlic and 1 tablespoon of the liquid out of the minced garlic, 1 heaping tablespoon of black pepper. Brown sausage and drain. Save drain and set aside sausage.
Split Andouille sausage in 1/2 lengthwise and split again into 1/4 pieces and place in same large skillet, add drain from sausage and coat top of sausage with dehydrated onion pieces, brown sausage with onions only till onions cooked/browned, sausage is already cooked. Drain and set aside Andouille.
In large (8 quart) pot combine required water and drain from tomatoes and chiles, also add drained tomatoes and chiles. Let it reach a boil then add Jambalaya mixes and 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon black pepper. When it reaches a boil again add all meats to pot and bring to boil again, reduce to simmer and cook for 25 minutes as directed and let sit as directed. When cooking is done, remove from pot and put in any size serving dish/pan, fill 1/2 way and spread medium layer of Mexican blend shredded cheese, top off pan and spread thin layer of Mexican cheese on top. Brown under 400 degree broiler.