Bert’s Eggplant Crabmeat Stuffed Portabellas2007-12-01
- Course: Appetizers
- Yield : 6
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 35m
- Ready In : 1:5 h
- Add to Recipe Box
Ms Bert (as she is known by her friends) was lucky enough to be coached by some of the best cooks in the Kaplan area. Her Dad, Wilton, has his own restaurant, her Aunt Carrie had a catering business and her grandma Mire had a lot of hungry mouths to feed. As the old saying goes, “the acorn doesn’t fall very far from the tree.” Ms Bert created this yummy dish using some Cajun favorites.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10 button mushrooms, chopped
- 3 roasted Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small eggplant, chopped
- 1/4 cup shrimp stock
- Progresso breadcrumbs (use your judgment)
- 1 can crab meat, drained (or fresh, if available)
- Salt and red pepper flakes
- Shredded cheese, your choice
- 4 Portabella mushrooms for stuffing
- Shrimp stock
Sauté the veggies till tender, about 20 minutes. Add the shrimp stock and simmer a while to reduce. Add breadcrumbs to reach a good consistency for stuffing.
Season well to taste and turn off fire. At this point gently fold in the crabmeat.
Let the mixture cool, then stuff the portabellas, top with cheese and broil on lowest shelf of oven for 15 minutes or until cheese melts.